WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH KITEBOARDING GUIDELINES
· When the checkered flags designating No Surfing areas in front of lifeguard stands are posted, kiteboarders shall stay at least 100 yards offshore from these areas. Some No Surfing areas in the middle of the island are extensive. It is your responsibility to know appropriate areas for kiteboarding.
· Kiteboarders shall enter and exit the water via the multi-use areas outside of the No Surfing areas. Kiteboarders shall enter and exit the water in a safe and controlled manner. Consider wind direction and beach population when selecting a safe entry/exit point.
· Always have an experienced kiteboarder assist you with launching and landing, or use a secure anchor.
· Kiteboarders will acknowledge and obey directions from lifeguards. Whistle blasts and universal hand signals will be used.
· Always yield the right of way to swimmers and pedestrians.
· No jumping on the beach with a kiteboard kite.
· Always respect other kiteboarders, on and off the water.
· When not in use, secure your kite with sand and roll up your bar and lines.
· Always store unused gear up near the dunes and keep the beach clear of excess equipment.
· Remember that perception is reality. If it looks unsafe, then it is unsafe.
· Anyone kiteboarding in a reckless manner will be asked to leave the beach. Reckless kiteboarders can be prosecuted under NC General Statutes, and they may lose their privileges to kiteboard at Wrightsville Beach.
Town of Wrightsville Beach Ordinance §92.12 pertains to kiteboarding.